• Mark1664
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 1 month ago #17331 by Mark1664
Front Crank Shaft Seal was created by Mark1664
Hi All,

Just joined the forum to see if I can get some info. I've just had my 2011 ASX serviced (36,000 miles) in a dealership to be told that the Front Crankshaft Seal is 'damp', and the replacement is £700!

Is this a common fault?

Is this a realistic price for a replacement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #17332 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
Not a clue but I do know the Mitsubishi extended warranty is worth having for such occasions.

More
2 years 1 month ago #17333 by Arty
Replied by Arty on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
I wouldn't worry about 'damp' just keep an eye on it. Some seals seep to keep themselves lubricated

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #17383 by Milo
Replied by Milo on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
I was just about to post a new thread when I scrolled down to see this thread.............. just collected my 2011 ASX3 after it's 81,000 mile service to be told the bottom seal is leaking and oil is getting onto the inner (small) drive belt. Just had a look and sure enough it is.

Worst case price at local Mitsi dealer where I get services on a plan is £860. If they don't need to replace the bottom pulley then knock off £400! The guy behind the desk actually suggested I seek alternative quotes.

Had this one from new but previously bought my cars with this sort of milage on the clock and not see issues like this even up at 140,000. So far had new discs back and front, and I'm not a heavy braker and mainly do long rural runs. So all in getting disenchanted with the ASX albeit it remains a great drive.

Would be good to hear of any others who have had the problem.

My ASX fuel stats:
click here

More
2 years 1 week ago #17389 by briant
Replied by briant on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
On the 9th May I quoted the following from my 72000 service bill.

Engine oil leak – Tech Note: Front crankshaft and oil seal leaking, will require new oil seal and pully to rectify.

From recent comments, and to answer Mark1664, it would appear that this is a common problem. I’m a bit gobsmacked with the figure of £700 he has been quoted and more so with the figure of £860 from Milo.

Arty suggests ‘don’t worry’ so how urgent a problem is this?

Martin’s comment would indicate this repair might be covered by an extended warranty. Has anyone made such a claim?

I will be contacting the garage for a quote then contacting Mitsubishi Extended Warranty to see how good my ‘Gold Cover’ is. I will report back later.

More
2 years 1 week ago #17390 by Milo
Replied by Milo on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
Seal is about £20, with two new belts the total was £101 for parts. The pulley has a rubber doughnut centre so prolonged oil contamination will perish it, cost £386. So the rest is labour.

Getting it done at a local garage and they will check the pulley.

My ASX fuel stats:
click here

Time to create page: 2.860 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by