× Discussions

Won't start, computer confused?

• pineapples
  • pineapples's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 4 months ago #16230 by pineapples
pineapples created the topic: Won't start, computer confused?
Hi, I'm new here and wondered if anyone could help.
I've got an ASX3 1.8 diesel with 4 WD on a 60 plate, it has keyless ignition with stop & start, we've had it since last June and it has been reliable and efficient.
The wretched thing refused to start this afternoon after behaving perfectly well for my wife this morning.
Symptoms are, no lights on dash, the only light in the cabin is the around the push button starter. I thought the battery must be flat.
The double cooling fan is running whenever the start button is in start or stop mode so there must be some battery. The engine was not hot it had been 5 hours since it last ran.
Electronic locking unlocking doesn't work but the tailgate is locked?
I have disconnected the battery and reconnected it without any improvement.
I'm completely flummoxed now and inevitably we have a long bank holiday weekend ahead and no chance of professional assistance until at least Tuesday and even then, Mitsubishi are 40 miles away.
I've disconnected the battery again to save any remaining charge.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #16231 by Arty
Arty replied the topic: Won't start, computer confused?
Try your spare key, it might be the fob battery. If not look for a disconnected wire 'somewhere' - has anyone tampered with the wiring?

Charge or change the battery

Can't think of anything else at the mo

More
2 years 4 months ago #16232 by shenton
shenton replied the topic: Won't start, computer confused?
Normally you get an early warning on the info panel that the key-fob battery is low, I changed my batteries on my 2010 model some time ago. Looks like a dealer job, if not any of the above ideas.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #16233 by Three Diamonds
Three Diamonds replied the topic: Won't start, computer confused?
I recommend having a spare set of batteries for the keyfobs around the house. Having had mine fail I do this now both in car and in the house.

However I think this may be a flat car battery as this happened to me around this time last year.

www.asxownersclub.com/forum/4-discussions/9340-flat-battery

It does not take much to run a battery down especially after winter or if you only do short runs and don't charge the battery up by a good long run or by trickle charging every now and then. In my case a cell was dead so the remaining five cells were under load anyway.

Worth investing in a multimeter to check your battery - useful for small household batteries as well.

A battery down on power will still light up things requiring a smaller charge but will not have enough power for the surge required to turn an engine over. I found a site called the Battery University interesting. Car batteries have not moved on as much as other areas of the automotive industry and are being asked to do a lot more than way back. Somewhere on that site it mentioned Japanese and European cars being particularly bad but the Yanks having had electric this and electric that for decades tend to provide a beefier battery.

For example - my battery is currently putting out 12.50 v. Just checked it with the multimeter. Get below 12 and it will struggle to turn the engine over and most likely not turn it at all. You will get a clicking sound. I may be wrong but I rather think modern cars with a computer will not allow the declining whirr, whirr whirring of a flat battery as in the good old days.

All the best
Steve
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Three Diamonds.

• pineapples
  • pineapples's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #16234 by pineapples
pineapples replied the topic: Won't start, computer confused?
Thanks guys, I think it may be the battery. If it was a key fob problem the display would be working. The really weird thing is that the fans want to keep running.

I will talk to the dealer on Tuesday morning but I suspect I'll be buying a new battery.

When I started driving, back in the dark ages, batteries used to fade and you had some idea that the problem was approaching. Nowadays they seem to just drop dead without any warning.

Thankfully my Peugeot van is still working as I don't fancy carrying the big battery that is in this car very far.

Steve, a multimeter does sound like a good idea, cheers.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by pineapples. Reason: Adding a sentence in response to a member's comment

More
2 years 4 months ago #16235 by Three Diamonds
Three Diamonds replied the topic: Won't start, computer confused?
I thing the AS&G must drain the battery especially in a round town stop n start situation. I don't use it personally.

Make sure the battery dimensions will fit the tray. I located a battery on the RAC site just in case it was not going to be replaced under warranty. The dimensions quoted would not have fitted my battery tray. And that it is AS&G rated. For the petrol ASX there are two battery types available - it may not be so for the diesels.

All the best
Steve

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting