× Discussions

ASX Rear Seat

More
2 years 7 months ago #15621 by cliffxdavis
cliffxdavis replied the topic: ASX Rear Seat

Three Diamonds wrote: I find that if I don't keep the locking button depressed fully then the seats will lock in the first or upright position. Note that the manual calls the reclined position the "normal" position.

Me too. I wondered if that was the position the "too upright" seats were in. My family find the "normal" position very comfortable, I did once try the upright position and that was awful. However with only two of you in the car it would slightly increase boot space.

Petrol ASX3.
Fuel 37 MPG UK. 30 MPG US. 7.6 l/100k
30000 miles. Oil used:none.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alfredlung
  • alfredlung's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 7 months ago #15624 by alfredlung
alfredlung replied the topic: ASX Rear Seat
What year and model is yours? I am still baffled that you have the '2' positions recline. More importantly is the different firmness of the rear seats ends. Don't you find, if sitting 3 at the back,(or if you sit closer to the door) the passengers sitting nearest to the doors would experience a 'falling'off feeling with bum tilting to the edge? Even if you were to enter the car and you sit first on the seat's edge, don't you find it softer than the main seat? Please try that. This IS the major complaint, more so than the angle of recline. Please feedback after trying out the above. Tks.

• alfredlung
  • alfredlung's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 7 months ago #15625 by alfredlung
alfredlung replied the topic: ASX Rear Seat
Sorry, cliffxdavis, yes, I reexamined your comments and tested again and yes, I noticed that there were 2 positions of incline. I also noticed that what I mentioned is referring to the 'normal incline' which we feel is still slightly too straight for us. But, the major discomfort here is the rear seat edges being soft and feels it needs more support springs to propped it to give better support to our bums.

More
2 years 7 months ago #15626 by Three Diamonds
Three Diamonds replied the topic: ASX Rear Seat
Mine is a 2013 model.

I sat in the rear seat this morning for some 5 - 10 minutes. The normal or reclined position is comfortable enough for my 6ft 4in frame. The upright is not.

I weigh just under 15 stone so enough bulk to depress seats. Yes there is slightly less support towards the ends but I would expect this as the foam towards the centre will gain support from the foam around it. Clearly the edges have less support of surrounding material. Any constant or regular kneeling on the seat at the threshold as you load or adjust stuff will not help maintain the integrity of the foam I would guess.

Because the seat is fixed to the floor pan I cannot determine its construction. I would imagine that it is blow moulded foam. This is based on visits made to seat manufacturers near the Nissan plant just up the road in Sunderland some years ago. There may be springs embedded in that foam (unlikely imo) or flat curly zig zag springs across the bottom stretched on a frame. This is to stop sag and breakthrough.

As you know foam comes in a variety of densities and hardness. That is achieved by the mix based on the end use specification? To achieve more density towards the edges would not be possible as they blow the mix into the mould. I am guessing here by the way but it is based on experiences mentioned above and visiting TKT Cosyfoam not far away as well as Oasis (used in flower arranging) and also some polystyrene moulders locally. The overall principals are the same. The end result of the moulded product is based on the ingredient mix?

I do have a friend who was a professional upholsterer so will ask him. I know he bonded foams of different density together in some situations. It may be that this is required here? The bonding of a firmer material on the ends of the seat foam? Is there anything on the internet as to how car seats are made?

All the best
Steve

More
2 years 7 months ago #15639 by Tobydog
Tobydog replied the topic: ASX Rear Seat
Rather selfishly, it's my car and I drive it. I've never sat in the back. If it worries anyone that much there's always the bus! This is coming from a now ex-long distance train commuter who was lucky to ever get a complete seat. Having half your arse go numb is what I paid £5,000 a year for!

More
2 years 7 months ago #15646 by samair77
samair77 replied the topic: ASX Rear Seat
true. it is very uncomfortable and rear passenger do not enjoy any trips.
really bar design.i strongly recommend that we ask for a recall.
it's a shame for a car in this price

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting