× Discussions

* ECU UPDATE RECALL FOR DIESELS - FEBRUARY 2014 *

More
4 years 2 months ago #13498 by Craigy Outdoors
Replied by Craigy Outdoors on topic * ECU UPDATE RECALL FOR DIESELS - FEBRUARY 2014 *
hey guys

Just got my ASX ecu upgrade today, first thing I noticed was in 5th gear at about 2500 revs it jumps to over 3200 and then comes back down to under 3000, is this strange or normal? I've never noticed it before. I could replicate it a few times, then other times it didn't happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #13522 by xpz393
@Craigy Outdoors: Just to clarify, do you mean that when you drop into 5th and put your foot down on the accelerator, the revs initially jump high up to 3200 then quickly drop down to 2500 before working back up progressively (normally) as your speed increases?

Also, what mileage has your ASX done?
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by xpz393.

More
4 years 2 months ago #13523 by Craigy Outdoors
Replied by Craigy Outdoors on topic * ECU UPDATE RECALL FOR DIESELS - FEBRUARY 2014 *
Yea thats pretty much it, however I tried to get it to do the same thing a few times today and it seems to have stopped. Very strange. Best way to describe it would be to imagine and automatic changing through the gears.
My asx is manual!

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #13524 by xpz393
Hmm. Whilst I don't mean to alarm you, but those symptoms, unfortunately, are often caused by the clutch/dual mass flywheel slipping. I've experienced this first-hand on my other half's Outlander (with the 2.2 Citroen-Peugeot diesel engine) where at 50k this was the first sign, and it was fixed by having a new clutch, DMF and seal.

It could be that following the ECU update, you've become more receptive to noticing 'quirks' with the car, which is why you didn't notice it before, or it could be something else entirely which just happens to have the same symptoms - I'm no mechanic!

Keep an eye on it. If it calms down, it could've been a bit of oil on the DMF, which was hopefully a one-off and has burnt-off now.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by xpz393. Reason: I meant 'seal' not 'valve' ;-)

More
4 years 2 months ago #13525 by Craigy Outdoors
Its getting booked in for a full service at the end of this month. I'll keep an eye on it. I think I would have noticed before but as you say, I was probably watching for issues after the update. Would it take time for the update to settle? I have a wv remapped once and was told to let it settle in before pushing it. I haven't had this remapped. yet...

More
4 years 2 months ago #13526 by xpz393
I had my ECU rewrite almost a couple of weeks ago now, and have covered about 200 miles. Although, as others have said, I think the turbo is a little less laggy low-down, and it's nicer between 1st and 2nd gear, I've not noticed anything weird or detrimental.

I also once had a VW remapped (2.0 litre diesel Passat) and was also told it takes around 100 miles to 'settle down' as it is apparently in some sort of adaptive/learning mode for that period. Whether it's true, or whether it's just B.S. they tell you so that you don't immediately moan about the change and it's actually to buy them some time for YOU to get used to it, I don't know.

However, I will not be getting my ASX remapped. Partly because at 150BHP already, I'm quite pleased with it's performance, but mainly because my Passat very quickly deteriorated after its remap, with almost weekly 'problems' which absolutely broke me emotionally and financially! Again, could've been coincidence, but there's no way I'm taking that risk with my ASX which is still worth a 5-digit sum :-)

Time to create page: 4.778 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by