× Discussions

Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT

More
2 years 8 months ago #15153 by Len
Len replied the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Hi Rob,

Len here an American living in Norway with a 2011 ASX4. I'm happy with the car overall but was wondering if the Rockford Fosgate system is different from the kenwood system sold in the UK and other places. The reason I ask is because I want to update the maps if possible to include speed camera warnings - do you know if this is possible on my model?

Thanks,
Len

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #15174 by Martin
Martin replied the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Finally bit the bullet and bought the 2014 Garmin maps £69. First one must update the system software to take the new maps. Followed the instructions to a tee and IT DID NOT WORK!

There was no way I could get the firmware to update. Very little help on the internet, though it does seem to be a real problem for many. However perseverence pays.....

Here's how to do it.

1. Don't use DVD disks, the system will not recognise them. You will need 2 -R blank CDs.
2. Download both the firmware update and the navigation software update together with installation instructions.
3. Unzip and copy each set of software to a separate CD. Make sure you close each session so that the CD can be used in another machine.
4. The firmware CD should have the following programs on it:

DDX6_1_1.9.0.ruf
DDX6_2_0009.img

5. Load this into the Kenwood first, and follow the instructions Kenwood provide on their website. Ignore the DVD error message that comes up.
6. The second CD should have just one file, loaded into a subdirectory labelled "garmin".

GUPDATE.GCD

7. Follow the Garmin instructions to update the software.

Then you can load the maps. This takes an unbelievable 2 hours! Normally when you press the start button without pressing the brake (or clutch pedal on an auto) the nav system will only remain on for 30 minutes, and you will have to start all over again. (Ask me how I know!). Therefore you must press the start button twice so that the dash lights up with all the symbols. Its a bit of a faff going through the verification process, but only needs doing once. Follow the instructions that come with the disk, wait some, have a coffee or two....., wait some, watch some TV....., wait some, another coffee...., wait....... and eventually the disk ejects and all is done.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Martin.

More
2 years 8 months ago #15176 by Neilcuth
Neilcuth replied the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Hi Martin,
With the Garmin DVD isn't it a one shot update 'can't use it in another car' ?
Is it the same now that you've loaded it onto CDs ?
My garage said they'd update my system as they had a download from Garmin, it didn't work so I too might have to bite the bullet and buy the DVD :(

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #15186 by Martin
Martin replied the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
It was the proper Garmin update map. As I said it cost £69. The validation process requires the unique code from the unit itself so it is definitely only for one car. Yes it is quite different. It now comes on 2 DVDs, and you can only install half of Europe at a time. Thus if you want a trip across Europe to Switzerland or Italy, you will have a tedious 2 hour load of the second DVD near the border, and then reload the first DVD when you cross back again. Thankfully there is no need to go through the validation process each time. people living near the Swiss/Austrian/French borders will find it unusable.

I didn't load the maps onto a CD, they wont fit, and anyway they load fine from the DVDs, albeit slowly. For some reason, however, the unit will not recognise the firmware update software on a DVD, but will recognise it on a CD.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Martin.

More
2 years 1 month ago #16439 by DRP
DRP replied the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
I have a Kenwood DNX 4210BT, in my ASX 4 2013. This afternoon I updated the firmware from v1 to v1.13.0. Also Garmin 2015.2 maps. All done via a USB device, Kenwood/Garmin websites. Cost £50 + 32GB USB divice, you have to have one bigger than 8GB! Installation ok very limited info on how to get it all together, but it's all installed and up and running!

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #17415 by SouperJim
SouperJim replied the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT

Martin wrote: 1. Don't use DVD disks, the system will not recognise them. You will need 2 -R blank CDs.

I'm trying to update the firmware on my 7240BT and have done the above, but the update button is still greyed out. 700mb CD-R, burned using imgburn. Windows says the CDR is closed. How did you burn your discs, or any ideas if the head unit needs a particular flavour of filesystem (iso,udf,joilet)?

Just found some interesting info here;
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=89962
seems to suggest that naming the CD can also cause problems, think my first attempt was labelled firmware... some good info on getting a speed camera database onto the unit there too.

Also found another thread on this issue;
http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=500
Lots of info there and people saying the firmware update on these units is incredibly picky about how the media is burned, what order you put the disc in and goto the update screen etc. Will give it another go and see if I can get any further.

Seems like really poor software design to me. No wonder so many people run into problems with this unit.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by SouperJim.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting