Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT

• Rob_Quads
  • Rob_Quads's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #4367 by Rob_Quads
Rob_Quads created the topic: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
As many of you will know the Kenwood 7240BT is quite an old head unit (since been replaced by the 7260BT and that the 7280BT)

As a result the maps on it are quite old. Technically the "2009" maps which are typically a year or so old so a fair bit out of date. The latest official maps are from 2011.

There are two ways to update the map

Route 1
Buy the update DVD - City Navigator® Europe NT 2011 Map Update DVD for Kenwood

Route 2
USB Upload. It is possible to upload new maps directly onto your head unit. The main file of maps is called "gmapsupp.img". There are two types of maps - Locked and UnLocked. Locked maps will not work, they need to be unlocked to work on your device. Once you have your unlocked map you can upload it by doing the following:

1. Download the USB garmin Drivers - USB Drivers software version 2.3
2. Using a USB cable - USB -> MiniUSB connect your computer to the head unit. The usb socket on the head unit is in the middle of the unit as seen below

3. Select 'nav' on the head unit. It will ask you whether you want to switch to "Garmin Mode" or "Mass Storage Mode". Select "Mass Storage Mode"
4. On your laptop a new drive should appear.
5. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP - Copy the contents of the new drive to a local drive to make a backup before you start.
6. Open up the "Garmin" folder and you should see a file called "gmapsupp.img" - This is the main map file
7. Delete "gmapsupp.img"
8. Copy your unlocked map file "gmapsupp.img" to the Garmin folder on the Kenwood
9. Power down your head unit
10. Job Done - Power the unit back on and the Nav will be using the new map.

NOTE: It takes around 45-60 minutes to upload a map to the head unit so make sure your laptop has plenty of power and would recommend doing it with the engine running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Numbersix aka Phil Berry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #4377 by Numbersix aka Phil Berry
Numbersix aka Phil Berry replied the topic: Re: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Thanks again Rob . As I have a more humble model it is not something I've come across.

Is it possible to upload other maps besides the Garmin ones providing they are labelled "gmapsupp.img" ? I only ask as I know several that have put Tom Tom and Garmin maps on cheap sat navs in the past , or is it a case of uploading the complete software for that sat nav ? ( Not that anyone would want to replace the Garmin !! )

• Rob_Quads
  • Rob_Quads's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #4382 by Rob_Quads
Rob_Quads replied the topic: Re: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
I'm not sure if you can cross the maps from TomTom. I think its possible to build up custom maps using the MapSource software. GPSUnderground is a good site if you want to start messing around with the head unit. It has a specific Garmin & kenwood Section

Garmin Section - gpsunderground.com/forum/gps-navigation-.../garmin-gps-systems/
Kenwood Section - gpsunderground.com/forum/car-navi-system...gps-systems/kenwood/

More
5 years 10 months ago #5013 by johnboon
johnboon replied the topic: Re: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Slightly different topic.
I have just failed to download the speed camera database to the unit. Despite following what appear to be the official instructions to burn a CD (to the letter I believe) I am getting disc error every time.
Is there a better way? Would using USB port and laptop work?

More
5 years 10 months ago #5029 by candell
candell replied the topic: Re: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Thanks for the info, is it relatively easy to take the unit out to get to the USB port?

More
5 years 10 months ago #5039 by iaingmb
iaingmb replied the topic: Re: Updating Garmin Maps on Kenwood 7240BT
Hi I have also tried unsuccessfully to upload the speed cameras database and always get the same "disk error"

I have not tried using the laptop and doing it directly but would this work?

By the way the USB connector is visible when you open the unit to install a disk.

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting