× Discussions

What tyres to replace originals?

More
6 years 2 months ago #2479 by Arty
Arty replied the topic: Re: What tyres to replace originals?
Stephen, the problem with boffins is they keep changing thier minds, which is no help when you are sat in A&E.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fb_588564593
  • fb_588564593's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago #2500 by fb_588564593
fb_588564593 replied the topic: Re: What tyres to replace originals?
not sure about the ASX but in Freelander 1, there is a mechanical bias to drive the front wheels primarily and rears if needed, via a viscous coupling. This is based onb all wheels having the same rolling radius. If you put new tyrs on the front they have a larger rolling radius (than the worn rears) which upsets the mechanical bias and will cause the car to run in 4wd all the time, something it wasn't designed for. this seems to destroy the Viscous coupling, 4wd take off box (called and IRD) and rear diff bearings in very short order.

the wrecker I bought had acutally shattered its IRD. so I put a recon one on and am running it without propshaft at mo.

sorry for veering off topic :-)

More
6 years 2 months ago #2543 by duggan
duggan replied the topic: Re: What tyres to replace originals?
My front tyres have worn badly on the edges and my dealer took it upon themselves to swap them to the back during the 2nd service. Ever since the alignment has been off to the left and the dealers only solution is to swap them back which I have not done. They claimed that the excessive wear to the tyre edges was due to high speed cornering as i do the majority of my driving on motorways. Stephen seems to have suffered the same wear so is this a trait of the ASX?

• Numbersix aka Phil Berry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago #2544 by Numbersix aka Phil Berry
Numbersix aka Phil Berry replied the topic: Re: What tyres to replace originals?
Given that 50% of all cars have iffy tyres, then both motorists and service departments are blissfully ignorant . James , what mileage have the tyres done , as I'm assuming they are originals and have done 20k ? I always associate wear at the edges with alignment issues or possibly some some give in the suspension bushes . Certainly , over enthusiastic cornering can cause such wear . Failing that , it could be the tyre themselves - a rogue batch , but that would surely show up earlier . Geometry or chemistry ? Can't you tell school's started again !

More
6 years 2 months ago #2547 by david
david replied the topic: Re: What tyres to replace originals?
Hi Peter,
I had my tyres replaced with Yokohama geolander tyres after being advised by the dealer. I was fortunate that my dealer struck a deal with me after a strong haggle as I hadn't the car that long at the time.
I got two tyres, the alignment, wheels balanced for £180 in total. I'm told it would normaly have cost about £250 for this.
I had also looked about and the best I could do was £100 each supplied and fitted with a local tyre company ( this was a discounted price I receive for 999 service employees ).
I was also speaking to an independent tyre fitter and he said Yokohama was a fantastic tyre with good use in summer and winter and also a good wearing tyre.
Hope this helps.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2548 by david
david replied the topic: Re: What tyres to replace originals?
James I just put a post up about tyres. What you say is pretty much like my tyres as it was edges with them too. I was told the same as you regarding driving style but yeh it's maybe just gonna be one of those things with ASX. Mine had done 16000 miles.

Time to create page: 0.816 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting