Seized rear handbrake

• Cefarcat
  • Cefarcat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #18481 by Cefarcat
Seized rear handbrake was created by Cefarcat
How many out there have had problems with the handbrake seizing on the rear caliper, it does seem to be quite a common problem. My 2014 1.8 ASX4 failed it's MOT with this problem, it has full service history. The Garage and myself scoured the internet for one without joy ( plenty of calipers without the handbrake attached ) . The only option was to go to Mitsubishi, the want £500 and the old caliper back ( so they can refurbish it probably ) :( :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cefarcat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #18483 by Cefarcat
Replied by Cefarcat on topic Seized rear handbrake
Hi Just to give an update after contacting Customer service I received the following reply and my response below

I understand that you have made contact with us through our Facebook page.

I am firstly am very sorry that you have had cause to contact us regarding the brake calliper failure your Mitsubishi ASX.

I will be more than happy to review if any goodwill can be provided towards the cost of the repair. In order for me to do so, please can you confirm the vehicles original registration number, or identification number (VIN) and advise which approved Mitsubishi dealership has inspected the vehicle.

Once I have received the above information I will be in a better position to advise.

The failure was discovered during an MOT at an Halfords Auto centre and the rear brake caliper kit was ordered from Nathaniel Cars of Bridgend South Wales (authorised Mitsubishi dealer) and the defective caliper has been returned to them.

I would like to make the following points

1: this is a safety hazard hence the MOT failure
2: after research on the internet and speaking to mechanics this a common problem on the ASX and outlanders, having recalls in Australia and now in the USA, please see attached web links, many more available.

www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/02/02/...e-trouble/300330002/
www.motoring.com.au/recall-wrap-more-tha...r-mitsubishi-111254/

3: As this is a well-known problem why has Mitsubishi UK not taken any action, as it clearly has safety implications.
4: Halfords Auto centre phoned up all the Mitsubishi dealers in the South Wales area, and they could not supply just the caliper and could not give a time scale of delivery, the only option was to order the Caliper Kit which included the caliper mounting cradle, which was not required, at extra cost.

My other concern is how long is it before the other caliper seizes and how long will this one last

More
5 months 1 week ago #18484 by Telferstr
Replied by Telferstr on topic Seized rear handbrake
Well done, let us hope you get a reply and at least some assistance for the costs involved.
My car is due its annual service at the end of June, so I will make sure that this item is looked at and a report on what was found.
It would be good to know if there is any form of preventative maintenance to be carried out to prevent this type of failure.
Please let us know if you have any further feed back from Mitsubishi.
Thanking you for your efforts and for reporting this failure to us.
Regards,
Telfer.

• Cefarcat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #18485 by Cefarcat
No problem I shall keep everyone updated, no reply from them today.

• Cefarcat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #18495 by Cefarcat
Here is the next installment from Customer services:

Thank you for your patience whilst I have reviewed your enquiry.

I understand your concerns regarding the failure and I apologise for any upset or inconvenience that may have been caused to you and your family. I am unable to make comment on the recall launched within Australia. If the concern was believed to be an issue within the UK then a recall would be/will be launched. Failures are reported to Mitsubishi Motors Europe who will make the final decision as to if they believe that a part is defective and therefore needs to be recalled.

So that I am able to look to see if any goodwill can be offered to you due to the failure, please can you provide me with a copy of the invoice for the work completed. Please also provide a copy of the invoice for the parts purchased through the approved Mitsubishi dealership.

Whilst I maybe happy for any goodwill payment I am more than concerned that they are not at the moment looking at a recall in the UK, how many owners have had problems in the UK

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #18498 by Telferstr
Replied by Telferstr on topic Seized rear handbrake
Thanks for the update and interesting to learn of the Australian and USA recalls for this problem.
Hopefully you will receive some assistance with the repair as you have pointed out to Mitsubishi it does seem to be a recurring fault.
Thanks again for the info.
Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Telferstr.

Time to create page: 4.593 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by