• Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #18008 by Nemesis
Nemesis created the topic: tailgate micro switch
Hi anyone had any problems with their tailgate micro switch

mine today stopped working

the door locking part works but the boot button/part won't

contacted mitsi asking if its a know problem and they say as usual no seeing my car is only used for domestic use and the boot hardly opened maybe twice a week

its a double micro switch nothng else with a rubber cover and cable just under £200 and another £65 to fit wich is unscrewing two small screws

anyone know of a fix or somewhere cheaper as i am sick to death of being ripped off or can it be repaired

thanks for all help
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Nemesis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nemesis
  • Nemesis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 1 week ago #18015 by Nemesis
Nemesis replied the topic: tailgate micro switch
well here goes I have sorted it myself and if anyone else has the same problem I hope this helps you to save over £200 being ripped off by Mitsubishi main dealer as they want £187 for switch and £65 labour just to undo 2 screws and unplug the switch oooo and it took me no more than twenty minutes not an hour Mitsubishi quoted me and that’s taking it apart cleaning and replacing

firstly you have to open boot from the inside

lay flat the passenger nearside seat look into the boot with a torch and at the bottom of the tailgate/door above the lock catch you will see a small inspection pannel

flick this off with a flat end screw driver and you will sell a small lever with a hole in it pushing it to the right with a little pressure going forward at the same time will open the boot/tailgate unless you have someone to pull open when you are inside then just push it to the right side

The rear boot switch is held on by two screws one is under a rubber grommet

The one under the rubber grommet on the raised part of the switch is to access the actual switch

The other is to remove the faceplate attached to the tailgate then you can see the connection plug and unplug it completely you will need long nose pliers unless you take the inside tailgate cover off

Take switch inside peel the rubber cover off you will see what I mean when you have the switch removed from the car

You will see 2 micro switches one for the door locking and the other is under a white pressure plate which closes/opens the tailgate
this plate clips off but please note when you put it back together you put the white plate in the rubber cover not back on top directly as when you replace the rubber cover it then presses and clips back together creating a seal

take note which way round the white pressure plate is as the first time i tried to clip it back on the wrong way and just be gentle

When you have it apart you will most probably see moisture on the little board and also the solder will have whitened/corroded
Mine had a little moisture inside and the white build up was causing the fault as they were touching causing it either to work intermittently or not at all

Use kitchen towel to dry and clean the switch then get a very fine copper brush or stiff toothbrush and gently scrub the solder and terminals look for any break in the little green circuit board copper

If there is a break on it..It can be soldered by a competent person or auto electrician but I very much doubt it will be broken

the green circuit board is only to hold the micro switches in place it has nothing else on it so the main dealer lied to me when they said it had relays/etc. on it to communicate to ecu it’s just a switch holder nothing else

also check the sponge seal round the faceplate as it can perish if it has or come loose use a little contact adhesive to repair or completely remove and use some normal house hold door draft excluder to replace it cost a £1 from pound land or use some rubber number plate tape both cut to size of course

After you done all this connect back to your car and hopefully all will be well

It you have a multi meter you may want to even check the micro switches before you replace putting a current through them

As said this is just a guide to help and what have you to loose seeing your switch has stopped working

Also disconnect the battery first before removing the switch then it cannot report anything to the ecu just a precaution seeing again the book and main dealer said any fault should show up on the dash if problems with the locking mechanism but nothing was showing

Well rant over and I hope this helps people

you have nothing to lose except no more than 30 minutes of time but may save over £200

and yes its still working fine after my clean and fix

Thanks all
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Nemesis.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #18405 by williamscarln
williamscarln replied the topic: tailgate micro switch

Nemesis wrote: well here goes I have sorted it myself and if anyone else has the same problem I hope this helps you to save over £200 being ripped off by Mitsubishi main dealer as they want £187 for switch and £65 labour just to undo 2 screws and unplug the switch oooo and it took me no more than twenty minutes not an hour Mitsubishi quoted me and that’s taking it apart cleaning and replacing

firstly you have to open boot from the inside

lay flat the passenger nearside seat look into the boot with a torch and at the bottom of the tailgate/door above the lock catch you will see a small inspection pannel

flick this off with a flat end screw driver and you will sell a small lever with a hole in it pushing it to the right with a little pressure going forward at the same time will open the boot/tailgate unless you have someone to pull open when you are inside then just push it to the right side

The rear boot switch is held on by two screws one is under a rubber grommet

The one under the rubber grommet on the raised part of the switch is to access the actual switch

The other is to remove the faceplate attached to the tailgate then you can see the connection plug and unplug it completely you will need long nose pliers unless you take the inside tailgate cover off

Take switch inside peel the rubber cover off you will see what I mean when you have the switch removed from the car

You will see 2 micro switches one for the door locking and the other is under a white pressure plate which closes/opens the tailgate
this plate clips off but please note when you put it back together you put the white plate in the rubber cover not back on top directly as when you replace the rubber cover it then presses and clips back together creating a seal

take note which way round the white pressure plate is as the first time i tried to clip it back on the wrong way and just be gentle

When you have it apart you will most probably see moisture on the little board and also the solder will have whitened/corroded
Mine had a little moisture inside and the white build up was causing the fault as they were touching causing it either to work intermittently or not at all

Use kitchen towel to dry and clean the switch then get a very fine copper brush or stiff toothbrush and gently scrub the solder and terminals look for any break in the little green circuit board copper

If there is a break on it..It can be soldered by a competent person or auto electrician but I very much doubt it will be broken

the green circuit board is only to hold the micro switches in place it has nothing else on it so the main dealer lied to me when they said it had relays/etc. on it to communicate to ecu it’s just a switch holder nothing else

also check the sponge seal round the faceplate as it can perish if it has or come loose use a little contact adhesive to repair or completely remove and use some normal house hold door draft excluder to replace it cost a £1 from pound land or use some rubber number plate tape both cut to size of course

After you done all this connect back to your car and hopefully all will be well

It you have a multi meter you may want to even check the micro switches before you replace putting a current through them

As said this is just a guide to help and what have you to loose seeing your switch has stopped working

Also disconnect the battery first before removing the switch then it cannot report anything to the ecu just a precaution seeing again the book and main dealer said any fault should show up on the dash if problems with the locking mechanism but nothing was showing

Well rant over and I hope this helps people

you have nothing to lose except no more than 30 minutes of time but may save over £200

and yes its still working fine after my clean and fix

Thanks all

It worked. I followed your instructions but with a slight deviation. I did not have a long nose pliers so soldered the broken circuits whiles the microchip was still connected to the tailgate.

Note: If you intend using this approach, make sure you disconnect the battery terminals before you start the soldering.

Thank you very much for DIY. You saved me GHS1600 approximately 350usd.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by williamscarln.

• Nemesis
  • Nemesis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #18406 by Nemesis
Nemesis replied the topic: tailgate micro switch
That's good news

More
18 hours 52 minutes ago - 18 hours 42 minutes ago #18414 by Qwertyco
Qwertyco replied the topic: tailgate micro switch
I did this fix a few years ago, there's a thread somewhere on here with pictures. Still working fine . . . . . . at the moment!

Thread is here:
www.asxownersclub.com/forum/4-discussion...t-open?start=6#16896
but unfortunatley Photophuckit have deleted the photos, as part of their global policy of spoiling nice things.
Last Edit: 18 hours 42 minutes ago by Qwertyco. Reason: revised

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting