× Discussions

Front Crank Shaft Seal

More
2 years 1 month ago #17391 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal

Milo wrote:
Had this one from new but previously bought my cars with this sort of milage on the clock and not see issues like this even up at 140,000. So far had new discs back and front, and I'm not a heavy braker and mainly do long rural runs.

I had discs and pads changed on one car not a Mitsu after quite a short mileage (about 50,000 I think). The garage asked if I tended to use engine braking, and their reply was that they found that using engine braking the discs tended to corrode faster. Maybe the same happens with all new cars these days?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #17392 by Tobydog
Replied by Tobydog on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
Can I ask if this front crankshaft seal thread is related primarily to petrol or diesels engines, or both?

We need to get used to new cars having a 7 year design life these days, however, this crankshaft seal issue looks to be a design failure. Given correct servicing and, particularly, the correct oil, engines should be able to go well beyond 7 years based on average mileage without much intervention. It's the other bits I expect to fail.

More
2 years 1 month ago #17393 by briant
Replied by briant on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
I contacted the garage this afternoon asking

“How serious is this crankshaft oil seal leaking?”

“How much will the repair cost?”

They phoned me back within 10 minutes basically saying – “It’s just an amber warning. Not serious. Will take another look at it at the next service. Because the engine has to be dropped the cost will be approx £630”.

This would seem to be in line with Milo’s last post.

I asked “Do you know if this will be covered by my Gold Extended Warranty?”

They will submit a claim and advise me of the outcome. If it is covered (more than likely they will say it isn’t) I will have the repair carried out now before the warranty expires in June. I will put the outcome on here.

More
2 years 1 week ago #17430 by briant
It has taken 4 weeks but I was today informed that my crankshaft oil seal leak will be repaired under my Gold Extended Warrant.

More
2 years 1 week ago #17431 by Milo
Replied by Milo on topic Front Crank Shaft Seal
Well done there Briant.

I bought the seal from Mitsi £20 plus both belts so add another £100 and gave it to the local garage who did the job for just under £200. They said the hardest part was getting the old seal out.

My ASX fuel stats:
click here

More
2 years 1 week ago #17436 by briant
Big saving on £630 I was quoted!!

Time to create page: 4.630 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by