Cam Belt - Cam Chain

• cliffxdavis
  • cliffxdavis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #16980 by cliffxdavis
cliffxdavis created the topic: Cam Belt - Cam Chain
I think that all ASX's have a chain cam drive and its good that we wont have to shell out for expensive belt drive changes but I recently heard of two instances where people with belt cam drives had them replaced (a Skoda Octavia and a Nissan Quashqai) and then when an AUXILLIARY belt failed their engines seized.

As we have AUXILLIARY belts can someone explain why the engines would seize if one snaps.

Petrol ASX3.
Fuel 37 MPG UK. 30 MPG US. 7.6 l/100k
30000 miles. Oil used:none.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #16981 by shenton
shenton replied the topic: Cam Belt - Cam Chain
If the engine is not stopped quickly, then it would soon overheat and maybe seize due to the waterpump not circulating the coolant, but I think one or two warning lights maybe on due to the belt breaking.

• cliffxdavis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #16983 by cliffxdavis
cliffxdavis replied the topic: Cam Belt - Cam Chain

shenton wrote: If the engine is not stopped quickly, then it would soon overheat and maybe seize due to the waterpump not circulating the coolant, but I think one or two warning lights maybe on due to the belt breaking.

Exactly what I thought, belt breaks then warning lights come on and you stop. So either these are drivers with no mechanical sympathy (which is true with the guy I know) or there is something else going on. These belts don't power the oil pump do they?

Petrol ASX3.

More
1 year 8 months ago #16984 by shenton
shenton replied the topic: Cam Belt - Cam Chain
I am certain that the oil pump is driven mechanically, or all would seize as and when the belt broke. The old cars (as ! am getting on a bit) had the drive off the other end of the distributor, if anyone remembers them.

More
1 year 8 months ago #16987 by dug1
dug1 replied the topic: Cam Belt - Cam Chain
Depends if the engine is interference or non-interference.

Problem with first one is that when cam belt breaks, cam is no longer turning but crank is = pistons destroying themselves on the open valves.

Second type you just coast to a stop with a dead engine but no long term damage.

• cliffxdavis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #16990 by cliffxdavis
cliffxdavis replied the topic: Cam Belt - Cam Chain

dug1 wrote: Depends if the engine is interference or non-interference.

Problem with first one is that when cam belt breaks, cam is no longer turning but crank is = pistons destroying themselves on the open valves.

Second type you just coast to a stop with a dead engine but no long term damage.

Yes Dug1 but the question is how can a broken auxiliary belt destroy the engine?

Petrol ASX3.

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Site Hosted & Managed by Guernsey Hosting